Subject: Re: 3100 boot images.
To: None <"young@ecn.purdue.edu"@vbormc.vbo.dec.com>
From: Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate! 07-Jan-1997 1358 +0000 <carlini@marvin.enet.dec.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/07/1997 14:57:06
"young@ecn.purdue.edu" "Mike Young" wrote:

>	About a year ago, Bertram made available code to make boot blocks
>that talked to the graphics console on a VS2000. They worked fine; the hangup
>was when the kernel enabled memory mapping - this screwed up (as I recall)
>access to the graphics I/O routines in ROM. This necessitated the redirection
>of console I/O to one of the serial ports, in the kernel. (Bertram, if I
>remember incorrectly, feel free to jump in and correct me :-) Neither he nor
>I saw any easy way around this, so we haven't fixed it :-(

I have a feeling that some (perhaps all) of these console output routines only
work with memory mapping off, I'll try to remember to check the manuals tonight.

Antonio Carlini                            Mail: carlini@marvin.enet.dec.com
DECnet-Plus for OpenVMS Engineering
Digital Equipment Corporation              Worton Grange, Reading, England