Subject: RE: Vaxstation 3100???
To: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
From: Bertram Barth <bertram@ifib.uni-karlsruhe.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/28/1996 09:05:06
Gunnar Helliesen writes:
> I've tried to boot several different VAXen from the NetBSD-1.2 TK50
> install tape just to see if I could get as far as starting edlabel or
> copy.
>
> It worked fine on a MicroVAX 3300 (but couldn't access any DSSI RFxx
> disks, of course) but didn't boot at all on a VAXstation 3100/38 (with
> jumpers set to "server" mode, i.e. to use the first serial port as
> OPA0:). After I entered B/3 MKB500 it just hung forever. Not a big
> surprise, I just had to try when I saw all the nice configuration
> options in the -current kernel config file... ;-)

What you've seen is due to differences in console output for VAXstations
and "normal" VAXen. VAXstations don't support mtpr/mfpr for console I/O
and these instructions are implemented as NOP. Thus the boot-programs
from 1.2 get caught in an endless loop while waiting for mtpr to succeed.

The modified console I/O-routines are not part of 1.2, they're only
in -current. Thus in order to test what happens on any VAXstation
you need boot-programs (and kernels) which are compiled out of -current.

Ciao,
	bertram