Subject: RE: Vaxstation 3100???
To: 'port-vax@NetBSD.ORG' <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/27/1996 17:02:27
I've tried to boot several different VAXen from the NetBSD-1.2 TK50
install tape just to see if I could get as far as starting edlabel or
copy.

It worked fine on a MicroVAX 3300 (but couldn't access any DSSI RFxx
disks, of course) but didn't boot at all on a VAXstation 3100/38 (with
jumpers set to "server" mode, i.e. to use the first serial port as
OPA0:). After I entered B/3 MKB500 it just hung forever. Not a big
surprise, I just had to try when I saw all the nice configuration
options in the -current kernel config file... ;-)

Anywho, what I'd really like to see now is support for the MicroVAX
3300/3400 DSSI and ethernet. In my opinion this is more important than
the 3100 as the 3300/3400 is still a "real" VAX with QBUS and all. The
3100 is too much like a PC and I already have NetBSD/i386 installed on a
PC. I might be biased by the fact that I have several 3300 and 3400
machines just sitting around while my company's 3100 is still occupied
with running VMS for the time being... ;-)

But seriously, is anyone working on support for the onboard DSSI and
ethernet for the 3300/3400? If not, why not simply ask Digital for their
Ultrix source code? They don't market Ultrix any more and it is after
all "BSD-ish" so it should provide at least a starting point for a
NetBSD port...? Or would that be cheating? ;-)

Gunnar

--
Gunnar Helliesen   | Bergen IT Consult AS  | NetBSD/VAX on a uVAX II
Systems Consultant | Bergen, Norway        | '86 Jaguar Sovereign 4.2