Subject: Re: MV II conversional boot
To: None <ewelch@odin.cbu.edu>
From: Thomas S. Traylor <ttraylor@titan.cs.mci.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/03/1996 09:53:42
On Thu, 3 Oct 1996 ewelch@odin.cbu.edu wrote:

> Hello
>
> I've acquired  a MV II that I plan to load netbsd on.  Currently, it is
> loaded with VMS V5.2.  Unfortunately, I do not have either the hardware
> doc or the system password.  Looking at my VMS docs I can bypass the
> system authorization file if I can put the system into conversational
> boot mode.  Does anybody happen to remember the command to get into
> conversational boot mode?

Here are the steps to get logged in when you don't know the password. (A
good reason to have good physical security of you VMS (or UNIX) system.)

1. b/1
2. SYSBOOT> SET STARTUP_P1 "MIN"
3. SYSBOOT> SET UAFALTERNATE 1 <-- (Check spelling by doing a SHOW UAF)
4. SYSBOOT> CONTINUE
5. At the username prompt enter 'SYSTEM' or any username.  If I recall,
any username entered here will have full access to the system.
6. At the password prompt (there will be two of them), enter a password.
7. At $ prompt, DEFINE/SYS/EXEC SYSUAF SYS$SYSTEM:SYSUAF.DAT
8. MCR AUTHORIZE
9. UAF> MOD/PASSWORD="NEWPASSWORD"/NOPWDEXP SYSTEM.
10. UAF> EXIT
11. MCR SYSGEN
12. SYSGEN> USE CURRENT
13. SYSGEN> SET STARTUP_P1 ""
14. SYSGEN> SET UAFALTERNATE 0
15. SYSGEN> WRITE CURRENT
16. SYSGEN> EXIT
17. Reboot the system with "@sys$system:shutdown".

These steps are from memory.  If they don't work, get back to me and I'll
try to find my VMS Docs. and get you the right one.

Tom

--
Thomas Traylor
Thomas.Traylor@mci.com