Subject: Re: Status,
To: J. Joseph Max Katz <jkatz@mac.edu>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/29/1996 03:15:07
Folks,
  The 3300 should work just fine...it's based on the ka640 processor.
The cpu board has an onboard DSSI disk controller and ethernet
interface which are not currently supported, though I think someone is
working on drivers for these devices.  If you put another controller
in the backplane and use an external mscp disk, you should be fine.  I
use an Emulex QD32 for disk and a DELQA for ethernet.  I'm not sure
about the 3400...I've never seen one of those, though some information
I have indicates that it, too, is based on the ka640 processor...if
that's correct, it should work fine.

  The ka640 is supposed to be about 2.5x the speed of a ka630, the
processor used in the MicroVAX-II.

  To whomever it was that was talking about working ont he DSSI and
onboard ethernet on the ka640...have you made any progress?  I'm
anxious to try it out, as are several others whom I know.

                         -Dave McGuire