Subject: Re: make build with 1.2 (current)
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bertram Barth <bertram@ifib.uni-karlsruhe.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/15/1996 16:12:55
>  >I get filesystem full unless I remove the
>  >operating system (netbsd) and delete the contents of a large directory, say
>  >sbin.  Have I done something wrong or is this normal.  If this is normal
>  >is there a case for increasing the size of the standard root partition?.
>
> 	You didn't say how big your root partition was. The common setup
> appears to be about a 10 MB root partition, to include the bootable kernel,
> /bin, /sbin, /dev, and /etc. Put /usr (and maybe /var and /tmp) on separate

The default for the size of the root-partition as given by /etc/disktab
is 15884 blocks (~8 MB) for most of the disks referenced there. This is
quite small (too small?) for the current distribution.

IMHO the size of the root-partition should be at least 10 MB (I think
edlabel advises to use at least 20000 blocks for the root-partition)
and maybe even more if /tmp and /var are located in the same partition.

Ciao,
	bertram

PS: Should we update the defaults for partition-sizes in /etc/disktab
    in order to reflect these new(?) requirements?