Subject: Re: VS3100 (VS42A) did a netboot (via MOP) of a standalone image...
To: Mats O Jansson <maja@celsiustech.se>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@lkg.dec.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/12/1996 09:23:31
In  <Pine.SUN.3.91.960812131016.19268A-100000@world> , you wrote:

> > Are there any size-limitations for those binaries loaded via MOP ??
> >
> Yes, I think it must be less that 2Gb :)
> The only problem is that a MOP-image is larger that the original image
> since the bss segment must exist in the MOP-image with all zeroed out.

That is untrue.  The BSS segment can stay "unallocated".  The mopd
daemon should be able to interpet a.out images and manufacture the
BSS pages on the fly.  That's what DECnet-ULTRIX and DECnet/OSI for
UNIX mop daemons do.

3am Software Foundry      WWW URL:    http://www.3am-software.com/bio/matt.html
Westford, MA              Disclaimer: I disavow all knowledge of this message