Subject: Re: VS3100 (VS42A) did a netboot (via MOP) of a standalone image...
To: Mats O Jansson <maja@celsiustech.se>
From: Bertram Barth <bertram@ifib.uni-karlsruhe.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/12/1996 11:03:36
> > 	Can this be used in setting up a boot & root disk set to run the
> > VS3100-m76-spx to install a filesystem onto the HDD's ?
> >
> Not for the moment. But in the long run, yes. My little program doesn't know
> anything about the hardware. It only defaults to the rom routines for console
> I/O.

Are there any size-limitations for those binaries loaded via MOP ??

If binaries of (almost) arbitrary size can be loaded via MOP, then
mop-ing a kernel with root on nfs and swap on nfs should be enough
to install the machine, since all the neccessary drivers are included
in the kernel.

If it's not possible to load the kernel itself via MOP, then the
copy-program needs to be augmented with some mehtods for network-access.
Also edlabel needs some new standalone drivers, since the ROM-routines
won't work for non boot-devices (SCSI comes to mind).

Another possibility would be to add network-functionality to the
/boot-program so that this program could load the kernel (root/swap
on nfs) via network. Then initializing/installing the local disk would
be the same as in the mopable kernel szenario.

Ciao,
	bertram