Subject: VAXBI support possible?
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/28/1996 19:10:04
Folks,
  Nearly a year ago, there was a thread here regarding VAXBI support.
It was between Paul Vixie and I, I think...But here is a chunk:

>>   Can anyone comment on the possibility of VAXBI support?  I know it's
>> a complicated bus and I think it's not too well documented.  However,
>> BI machines are becoming *very* cheap on the used market, and some of
>> them are really sweet machines, IMHO.
>
>chris torek did VAXBI support for BSD4.3 back when he was in maryland.  as
>far as i know the support got back to berkeley and appeared in 4.3-reno.
>just getting the VAXBI and DEBNT and KDB50 drivers out of 4.3-reno would
>not torque any code lawyers since it was all original work.  the upper layer
>interfaces are all different, of course, but these drivers would give you
>a good starting point (better than the one chris had.)

  Well, I've got some BI hardware here now...an 8350, which can easily
be turned into an 8250, with a KDB50, DEBNT, DMB32, and KLESI-B.
There's even a DWBUA in there for neat stuff.  I would *really* like
to see NetBSD on this thing.  Hey, it's got personality.

  Further, the going price on a KA820 board (vax8200 processor) is
$100 or less now.

  The problem: I consider myself to be a good C programmer, but I lack
the device driver and 4.4 internals knowledge to work on this driver
integration.  About the only way I'd be able to help is with testing,
and making my machine available for remote development efforts.
Basically, I can connect its console port to a running machine with
internet connectivity, and give someone an account on that machine.

  If anyone is interested in working on this, please do.  I will do
whatever I can to help, and will appreciate it greatly.

                       -Dave McGuire