Subject: Stuck again...
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <cjn@isd.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/23/1996 08:44:18
HELP!!!

 Thanks to all of you who helped me, I managed to get console output
on the "printer port" of my VS2GPX last night. I carefully removed
the VCB02 cards and moved the rest of the cards towards the cpu and
memory boards. but it didn't work so I moved the cards around a bit and
and inserted a bus grant card, it worked... :-)

 But thats not the end of my misery, the &%# thing did not want to
boot of the NetBSD boot tape (TK-50). So i tried to boot it of a uVAX
2 maintainance tape witch I found in a "VS 2 hardware info box"
(really great documentation). It booted of this tape, but now it said
that my DEQNA adapter was broken, and all three led's were lit on the
card (actually the TK50 controller also had a lit led but i went out
when I did a "unjam" from the console). So I tried to boot another
uVAX 2 of the maintainance tape, it the test said that the DEQNA
adapter was broken, It isn't, that machine was and is running Ultrix
and it is only accessed through telnet and it acts like an nfs server for
the rest of our machines...

System configuration for the VS2 GPX is as follows;

     KA-630-AA CPU 1Mb onboard RAM
     1x8 Mb RAM board
     1x2 Mb RAM board
     DEQNA adapter
     RQDX3 controller (with a RD54)
     TK-50 controller (with a TK-50)

 I wrote my boot tape from a linux system with a TK50Z SCSI tapedrive
and an adaptec 1542c SCSI card.  By issuing the following command
"dd if=tk50-file1-12beta of=/dev/nrmt0 bs=512". It read 512 blocks and
wrote 512 blocks, is guess the file is supposed to be so big? The got
the file from ftp.stacken.kth.se.

 The maintainance tape was labeled "AQ-GL5AE-DN ME3010 MV II DIAG CUST
TK50 (c) 1986 Digital Equipment Corporation", are there different
hardware revisions, so that the tape may be testing the hardware the
wrong way ? Or does DEQNA adapters work though they are broken?

Sorry for asking all these silly questions but I guess I read all the
FAQ:s available allready (I guess I can write my own when im
finnished with this %-/&  machine.). And if I cant get this VS2 up
and running, how could I then bring our two 11/750 and our 8600 back
to life.

/Greetz/Christian Johansson

BTW; Are there any plans on supporting for HSC disks and tapes under
NetBSD ?