Subject: Rewriting kernel support for ka650 systems
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robin Birch <birchr@royalmail.co.uk>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/12/1996 08:55:17
Dear All,
I am starting in on improving the support for ka640, ka650, ka655 systems.  My
initial attempts are hitting problems in decoding the SID register.  The code
that I have written is getting the CPU identifier wrong.

Can someone please send me some explanation on the bit masks involved in the sid
register and how the routine that accesses PR_SID in locore works.  I want to
pull out the cpu type, system id, firm ware and hardware revision.  This is to
implement the differences in cache and related things between the three cpus
involved.

The routing that is used to access PR_SID appears to be a general register
access
routine.  So a general description of how this and any other related routines
work would help.

Unfortunately my knowledge of the guts of NetBSD and VAXen is a little
limited so
a bit by bit talk through would help.

My intention is to do the following:

        1)      Properly add support for ka640 to ka650.c, autoconf.c and
locore.c
        2)      Implement support for the esa network interface
        3)      Implement support for the DSSI interface

I think I can do 1 and 2 over the next couple of months, 3 might take a little
longer.

I have examples of the necessary code but I don't yet have the ka640 docs so if
anybody has these can they scream as I will probably be asking questions.

        Regards

        Robin
Robin Birch					01793 494908 (Tel)
						0589  886610 (Portable)