Subject: Re: Installing 1.2
To: Robin Birch <robin@falstaf.demon.co.uk>
From: David Brownlee <david@mono.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/08/1996 14:46:06
On Sun, 7 Jul 1996, Robin Birch wrote:

> I am now attempting to build the source tree to bring my 1.1A system upto
> 1.2beta.  On other BSD systems, 2.11 in fact, there was a procedure
> to this where the libraries and compliers were built first using the old system
> and then the whole thing was rebuilt using the intermediate compliers and
> libraries.  This was built  into a high level makefile that lived in
> /usr/src.  There doesn't appear to be an equivalent in NetBSD.

	There should be a /usr/src/Makefile - if you pulled down the
	tarfiles then this wont be included - given its only ~1K I'll
	email a copy to you separately.

> Is this a reasonable process to go through?.

	You cd to /usr/src & type 'make build' to rebuild the
	userland. (after you get the Makefile :)

	You _should_ be able to build a 1.2 kernel fine from 1.1A, though
	it would be worth a
	'cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/config; make clean && make && make install'
	first.

> If not can someone give me hint as to the correct one for NetBSD, 1.2
> specififcally.

	The above should be fine.

> Thanks again to all the people who have pointed be in the right direction and
> if marc can add my current status to his testers/developers I would be
> grateful.  I wil be in a position to be transfered to the developers collumn
> in a week or so once I have got this system going.

	Good luck!

		David