Subject: Re: Thanks. VS2000 applications.
To: Marc Malagelada i Duch <marc@hades.udg.es>
From: Jeremy Brown <mee@hops.cs.jhu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/16/1996 20:36:34
(This is kind of a de-lurk)

On Mon, 17 Jun 1996, Marc Malagelada i Duch wrote:
[schwack schwack]
> About the SCSI interface:
> If I could do something useful with this VS2000, I would try to get a memory
> upgrade (8meg more) and a 200Mb harddisk.
> Are you sure *all* vaxstations2000 have a SCSI interface?

The SCSI interface isn't exactly a standard SCSI interface; in fact I
have never seen it work with anything but the TK50. And no, they don't
all have it, only the ones with the expansion option. But you can
probably cobble it together. Just open it up, it's pretty straightforward
on the inside.

> My VS2000's have 1 MFM hard disk controller, and a 1.2Mb FDD controller.
> When I run System Exerciser, I get info about a TK50 controller.
> Is this a SCSI controller?
> I could get one more VS2000 with TK50 instead of 1.2Mb drive.

That's the beast! Is the system exerciser telling you you have one?
Because it will look for it and return zeroes (I think) if it doesn't
find it.

> Robin wants to know who is on the port for VAXstations.
> I have no idea on programming Operating Systems, I am only a user.
> So, I am volunteer to test any beta-version on NetBSD for VS2000 / VAX3500.
>
> We could build a table:
>             Programmers:           !        Beta-testers.
>                                    !     Marc Malagelada marc@hades.udg.es.

					   Jeremy Brown mee@jhu.edu

I have a spare VS2K that's just itching for an OS (my other one runs
Ultrix 3.0). I'd like to help on the programming side, but I don't think
I can commit the time.

Jeremy Brown

"Once upon a time, these two guys wrote a version of BASIC for
microcomputers. Then they acquired this OS, which they renamed MS-DOS.
Then they made this once-in-a-lifetime deal with IBM. Then they sold
millions of copies of Windows. Then they ruled the world. The End."