Subject: Using a 3400 for NetBSD
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robin Birch <birchr@royalmail.co.uk>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/04/1996 17:55:37
Dear All,
I have just received a 3400 that I intend getting NetBSD going on it.
I know that it won't support the RF discs imbedded in it but I want
to try to write the drivers for them.  So:

I have taken the covers off and what I have got is:

  M7624-AA KA640-AA  -  The CPU I guess
  M7621 * 2          -  Memory (2 * 8 MByte)
  M3119-YA * 2
  M3106
  M7559              -  TKQ70 and drive

I have checked the dssi (SCSI) bus and I have:

  DSSI-0 RF31
  DSSI-1 RF30
  DSSI-2 RF30

I am after programming notes/manuals for all of the above, including
the CPU.  My background is PDP-11 and I have very little VAX experience.
As a result I have no manuals and the like floating about.

I will be happy to cover any reasonable photocopying costs.

I believe that I can install an MSCP emulator for SCSI discs that I
can use to boot this system using the existing NetBSD VAX port.  What
I need is sufficient for me to develop or mod an existing driver for the
embeded SCSI controller and add disc support.  Hopefully I can use the
stuff from the pmax port for this but I need the manuals to check it
all through.

Can anybody help?.

Robin Birch