Subject: Re: non important question.
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@rocinante.digex.net>
From: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/27/1996 09:28:48
On Tue, 26 Mar 1996, Dave McGuire wrote:

> On March 26, you wrote:
> > Last week I first saw a uVAX-II.
> > What a big machine! I was astonished!
> > Compared with my VAXstations2000 and a VAX3500, it is a beast.
> > Are all them so big or are there different models?
>
>   No offense...but I had to laugh out loud when I read this.  I'll try
> to find some pictures to put up on my web server...but a MicroVAX II
> is one of the smallest VAXen ever built.  A VAX-11/780, for example,
> is over five feet high, about five feet wide, and about three feet
> deep.  But that's a very old machine.

Er, but Dave, there's also such a beast as the uVAX II Q5. Although not
as large as a 11/780, it's a hell of a lot bigger than a Q3.

The Q5 was mounted in a rack (sideways) and usually had a 9-track tape on
top (TU-??) and one or two RA81s at the bottom. AFAIK it was also
available with a 380V 3-phase power-supply. Definitely computer-room
material, whereas the Q3 was made for normal "office" environments.

Gunnar

--
Gunnar Helliesen   | Bergen IT Consult AS  | NetBSD/VAX on a uVAX II
Systems Consultant | Bergen, Norway        | Jaguar Enthusiast/Ford owner