Subject: Re: NetBSD Installation problem.
To: Stefan Puscasu <stfp@roipb.cs.ipb.ro>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/20/1996 21:39:20

> Hi,
> I have the following problem trying to install NetBSD on a MicroVAX II:
> (the edlabel and copy worked fine)
>     ^^^^^^^^
> howto 0x3, bdev 0x12, booting...
> 10556+552+33996 start 0x0
>
> Nboot
> : ra(1,1)gennetbsd
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> 618496+32768+92904 start 0x8aefc
> Copyright [...]
> NetBSD 1.1A (GENERIC) #132: Thu Mar 14 17:25:15 MET 1996
>     ragge@urgoryif:/usr/src/sys/arch/vax/compile/GENERIC
>
> realmem = 5241856
> avail mem = 3296256
> Using 255 buffers containing 261120 bytes of memory.
> backplane0 (root)
> cpu0 at backplane0: MicroVAX 78032/78132
> sbi0 at backplane0panic: Microvax not supported
> Stopped at      0x800809ae:     brb     0x800809c5

This cannot happen :-)
A brief description: SBI is the main bus on unibus/Q22 bus
equipped machines, and it can have uba adapters attached to it.
During autoconfig, the kernel checks whether the machine has
a system bus or if it is equipped like a VAXstation. But in
your case, neither of these can be determined.
I would like you to:

Use B/43 MUA0 when booting the kernel. (Forces loading of the
kernel symbol table).
When the kernel stops, examine the following variables and mail
me the results:
db> x/x cpu_type

db> x/x cpunumber

db> x/x 0x20040004

then I can check what is special with your computer.

-- Ragge