Subject: Id this stuff
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <kpneal@eos.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/07/1996 07:34:05
Ok, I went through most of it and got numbers that I assume will
help ID it.

Here goes:

Machine 1) A VAXstation II/RC (for real)
It contained
M7602 (mono fb?)
M7546 -- TK50 controller, no drive (sigh)
M7606-EF CPU board, I don't know what kind specificially.
M7608 RAM it looks like.

The machine also had hookups for a tablet and kbd/monitor.

We ripped the rest of the machine apart for parts to fix broken ones
on the other machines.

Machine 2) A MicroVAX II

How are slots numbered? Rough diagram for the sake of this post:
| *68%    % *69%     % Disk%     ! RAM % CPU % |
|    % *68%    % Blank     % Empty  ?  %  -> % |
|    %    %    %     %     %     !     %     % |
|    %    %    %     %     %     !     %     % |
|    %    %    %     %     %     !     %     % |
+----%----%----%-----------%-----------%-----%-+
|    %    %    %     %     %     %     %     % |
|    %    %    %  Tape     % M7607     %     % |
|    %    %    %     %     %     %     %     % |
|    %    %    %     %     %     %     %     % |
|    %    %    %     %     %     %     %     % |
|    %    %    %     %     %     %     %     % |

The machine is chock full O stuff. The cards are:
M7606-EF CPU
M7608 half populated it looks like. Doesn't look like the other 08
MS630-A, M7607 (have no idea what this is)
M8639 RDRX Disk controller
M7546 -- TK50 controller
M7169, M7168, M7168, fb?

Machine has no tape or fixed drive. Has connectors and stuff for
Ethernet, but no card (I bet it is the missing one.).

Is this a decent machine?

Machine 3) A VAXstation II/RC with the glue taken out.

This one has the tk50 drive, and a fixed disk. We also can get
it to give us a prompt on a vt220, but not get past 'A'. I
didn't take this machine fully apart because I'm afraid to.

It has a "RD53-A" Micropolis drive, anybody else seen this?
What kind of drive is this, anyway? MFM?

M7606-AF (note <- different!) CPU
M7608-AC ------------------------
M7608-AS ------------------------
M7504 Ethernet -- blank card here
Framebuffer here? ---------------
Emulux 16 port serial -----------
M7546 ----------- M7555 what is this?
free slot

Does this look like a decent system? This last one doesn't get
past the 'A' on startup. Course, this is with no monitor, kbd, or
mouse hooked up.

Is it terribly necessary to pull the GFX cards if there is no
driver yet? I mean, I might be able to pull off putting together
one of those cables, it's a shame to pull it if I can get the
stuff hooked up to it.

Oh, and if nobody minds I am archiving alot of this on my
web page ("The House of RetroComputing" heh) here at NCSU:
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~kpneal/www/ and I have plenty of
drive space available for info (I don't have that much time
wish I did). (Drive space at home is a different story).

I'm going to head up to "Carolina Cable and Connector" this
afternoon to see what I can see.

Out of all of that stuff, I'm sure we can get at least 1 machine
running, and I'm looking forward to it.

If somebody could help me figure out *exactly* what I have my
hands on, that would be a big help. Now for that cable....

XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Sophomore CSC/CPE     kpneal@eos.ncsu.edu
XCOMM North Carolina State University      kevinneal@bix.com