Subject: Help for bob one more time,
To: Robert Smith <rmsmith@csc.com>
From: Bertram Barth <bertram@ifib.uni-karlsruhe.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/23/1996 09:50:06
Robert Smith writes:
> I think I spoke too soon last pm.
>
> I tried rebooting vaxen this evening.  It did not reboot properly.
>
> I got the usual startup all thru the slave disk info,
> and then I get a message that says
> missing init
> and end up in debug mode with db> prompt.
> help.

It looks like /sbin/init is missing.

Did you install all the packages, including sbin.tar.gz and dev.tar.gz?

Just boot again from the miniroot which should still be in your
swap-device: >>>B/3 DUA0  ... Nboot:ra(0,0,1)gennetbsd ... ra0*
Now mount /dev/ra0a on /mnt and your usr-partition (ra0e?) on /usr.
Check if /mnt/sbin/init exists. If not, install sbin.tar.gz.
Check if /mnt/dev/MAKEDEV exists. If not, install dev.tar.gz.
Also check for files in /mnt/bin, /mnt/usr/bin, /mnt/usr/sbin,
/mnt/etc, etc. If any of these directories is empty, install
the corresponding package.
Change into /mnt/dev and make the devices you need (see below).
Check if /mnt/boot and /mnt/netbsd exist. If not, copy them
over from current /boot and /gennetbsd.

Now /sbin/halt your machine and reboot with: >>>B DUA0

... and keep your fingers crossed  :-)

> second question problem:
> in my newly installed system in the dir /dev I have no devices..
> do I just copy these files over from miniroot??
> and then do the MAKEDEV?

You'll need these devices!
You can't copy these special files over with "cp", they have to
be created with the "mknod" command, MAKEDEV takes care of that.
If you've installed all the packages, then the MAKDEV script should
have been installed into your /mnt/dev directory (will become /dev).
If you don't have the MAKDEV script in /mnt/dev, maybe you didn't
install the dev-package. Either copy MAKEDEV from miniroot (ie. /dev)
into /mnt/dev or install the dev-package. Then proceed as noted in the
FAQ:
Lastly, if you haven't already done so, create the special
device files on your new root partition. Change directory to
/dev on your new root partition. If you followed the
examples above that should be /mnt/dev.

Run MAKEDEV to create all standard devices:

# ./MAKEDEV std

Then create your disk(s) and tape(s):

# ./MAKEDEV ra0
# ./MAKEDEV tms0

(The above creates special files for disk DUA0 and tape
MUA0. Repeat for any other disks or tapes you might have
in your system).

Ciao,
	bertram