Subject: More questions
To: Robert Smith <rmsmith@csc.com>
From: Bertram Barth <bertram@ifib.uni-karlsruhe.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/21/1996 16:10:10
> With my ra0a partition set at 20000, ra0b set at 40000, and ra0e set for the
> rest of RD54, in the miniroot, I end up running out of space with /dev/ra0a
> mounted on /mnt so I can't create and copy over /usr files, the basic
> files in / (mounted b partition as part of startup).

You should mount your ra0e on the point (relative to ra0a) where
you want the /usr-partition to be:

	# mkdir /mnt/usr
	# mount /dev/ra0e /mnt/usr

now you can copy the files over into /mnt, the files in the usr-subtree
go into /mnt/usr ie. ra0e, the rest goes into /mnt ie. ra0a.

> How do I handle this?? do I rebuild the disk with a bigger a partition?
> I do a df and get the stats - does not seem to make sense to me,
> I figure I have crated a big enough partition - about a meg,
> and have not put that much into it!!

Your ra0a-partition has 20000 blocks, which is ca. 10MB.
This should be enough to hold /var, /etc, /bin, /sbin etc.,
but it's not big enough to hold the data in /usr also. By mounting
ra0e on /mnt/usr, the /usr-data are transferred to their correct
destination and don't use diskspace from ra0a.

Ciao,
	bertram

PS: If you already have a directory /mnt/usr, then you should delete
    it's contents first (rm -rf /mnt/usr/*) before mounting ra0e into
    this directory. Any files in the directory /mnt/usr won't be
    accessible while ra0e is mounted into that directory, but they're
    still there and thus use disk-space.

PPS: Another possiblility could be that you're copying the shared
     binary for each file you copy. The shared binary is quite big
     (ca. 800KB) and thus fills up the disk quite fast. Try using
     tar instead of cp.