Subject: Re: I didn't get very far (TK50 boot) solved + more Q's
To: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/18/1996 12:09:01
>=20
> I have some more questions, though:
>=20
> 1) kernel panic
>=20
> Every now and then the kernel panics, even if the system is completely=20
> idle. The following message is printed on the console:
>=20
> panic: unwire: page not in pmap
>=20
Yes, I have also got this sometimes, but only on MicroVAX II.
I'm not sure why it happens; the Memory Management code is the
same as on the other VAX systems, and on neither MicroVAX III
nor 11/750 I get this...

> 2) getty on console
>=20
> After boot, when getty is started on the console, I get the following:
>=20
> NetBSDx"#=A8??zx!"@/{=3D%5"#=A8#d#=A7".#=A8%NetBSDx"#=A8??zx!"@/{=3D%5"=
#=A8#d#=A7".#=A8%NetBSDx"#=A8?
>=20
Are you sure it is not a parity problem? NetBSD default wants to
have 7E1 on the console. It's probably not a speed problem; there
are no way that the kernel can change the console speed at all.

> 3) netstat - illegal instruction
>=20
> If I enter the command "netstat", with or without options, I invariably=
=20
> get the reponse "Illegal instruction". Should I try to build a new=20
> netstat? Where can I find the source?
>=20
Check that you have correct permissions set on netstat, so that it
is able to read from /dev/?mem. But it may be a good idea anyway=20
to upgrade the whole system to -current.

> 4) Anyone have a spare RD54? ;-)
>=20
I'll pass this one :-)

-- Ragge