Subject: VS3100 Port ETA & al.
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Apprich <psapp@cnct.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/03/1996 10:16:01
     I  finally  got a monitor that will run on the VS  3100  M76
SPX. The unit comes up to a ROM monitor I assume. I typed 'HELP' and
got a whole list of cryptic commands that run from the monitor.
I found that TEST 54 sets the national language, TEST 75 formats the
HDD's, TEST 76 formats the floppy with 0xAA's and TEST 8X is for the
video. At present, there is no OS on the HDD's. At the risk of repeating
the same story, I had acquired the VS3100 before knowing what I had.
I thought that the SCSI HDD's would be just dandy for the 386 machine
that was running at the time (duh, why would I need a VAX when Intel
suits me just fine....duh..duhh..duheee.) Since then, I have stopped
whiffing the retard gas and received an education, thanks to you all
on the 'Net. From what I have heard there was VMS and Ultrix available
for this. Has anyone an ETA concerning NetBSD w/ C compiler for VS3100
machines and  C source for Samba? I am looking to link this beast to a
network of (yecch)  Wintel boxes running Winders fer Workgroups just for
the hell of it and eventually use Mr Vax for photo retouch. I am  stuck
with having to use a 1.44 MB floppy (RX23) as a boot device. If possible,
any VS grand masters out there care to send me the user's reference for
those monitor-level instructions. I would appreciate that greatly.