Subject: Re: RD53 cylinder count?
To: Ken Wellsch <kcwellsc@math.uwaterloo.ca>
From: Bertram Barth <bertram@ifib.uni-karlsruhe.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/31/1996 19:13:48
Ken Wellsch writes:
> | From: Bertram Barth <bertram@ifib.uni-karlsruhe.de>
> |
> | I don't know if it's possible to define partition boundaries in a
> | way that it maps to physical cylinder boundaries. If yes, then it

I think this was a misleading statement. What I tried to say/ask was:
I was surprised that /etc/disktab holds logical geometry (ie. factored
triple) for RD53 but physical geometry for RD54. Thus I wanted to ask
if it's possible to calculate the mapping from LBNs to physical geometry
in a way that cylinder boundaries in the logical geometry represent
cylinder boundaries in the physical geometry.

> | would make sense to rewrite the /etc/disktab entries for most of the
> | MSCP disks. (IMHO these entries are slightly outdated in many ways
> | esp. concerning partition sizes/offsets and block/fragment sizes).
> | On the other hand now that /edlabel is available as an offline tool
> | for creating disklabels, /etc/disktab is only used as a reference
> | for physical/logical geometries?

[... lots of things i totally agree with ...]

> You do want disktab for additional disks.  I have been using the TK50
> image and I've got better things to do like wait for slow compiles than
> to wait to load edlabel to also do additional drives 8-)

You're absolutely right. What I was trying to say is: what's the sense
in these disktab entries if you can't use them for labeling your
primary disk (here we have /edlabel) and if you're using them for
additional disks you usually wont use the default partitions/sizes
since they don't match your needs. I think they could/should be
replaced by more reasonable defaults.

Ciao,
	bertram