Subject: vax (fwd)
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Burnett <pdb@neverlnd.demon.co.uk>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/16/1996 07:44:00
Tuesday January 16 1996, carlini@marvin.enet.dec.com writes to All:

 >> and two RZ24 209 MB SCSI HDD's. I need to know what device was
 >> mounted that it would appear through the opening in the upper right of
 >> the front panel. There is a 34 pin male BERG (mr) connector on a board
 >> mounted behind the space for this missing device. The board is marked
 >> 'SCSI-FD INTERFACE'. A 3.5 inch floppy drive (Especially Sony--DEC used
 >> a number of these I recall) fits nicely in that space. Any help here?

 c> The board is a SCSI interface for a standard 3.5" floppy drive. Just
 c> plug it in and it should show up using a console SHOW DEVICE.

According to my MV3100 model 10/20 manual here, the Floppy Disk is called an
RX23, its 135TPI and 1.44MB formatted capacity....

 >> I heard that some of these units used TK50 tape drives. What form are
 >> these tape drives? (DC-2120, DC-600, 4mm DAT, 8mm DAT, etc.)

 c> To use a TK50 it would have to be in an external box. A TZ30 (uses the
 c> same cartridges) might fit into the box but I've never seen suitable
 c> mounting hardware to do that. (Note that the VS3100-76 is slightly
 c> different to the previous VS3100-30 and -38, and mounting kits for those
 c> won't work here).

The TZ30 can fit in the 3100 cases, lefthand side/front..... The TZ30 will use
the 95MB CompacTape (TK50-K) or CompacTape-II (TK52-K) cartridges. Data written
on an initialised TK50 cartridge can be read by a TK50 drive as well as a TK70
drive but data written on a TK70 initilaised cartridge (296MB) cannot be read
by a TK50 or TZ30.

I beleive that a TK50 in an external box to fit on the external scsi port was
called a TK50-Z.....

 c> TK50-K cartridges hold approx 95MB each.

correct
--
Peter Burnett              Internet: pdb@neverlnd.demon.co.uk
10 Parsons Close                     system.VAX2@neverlnd.demon.co.uk