Subject: Re: vax (fwd)
To: None <"psapp@cnct.com"@vbormc.vbo.dec.com>
From: Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate! 16-Jan-1996 0617 <carlini@marvin.enet.dec.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/16/1996 07:10:23
psapp@cnct.com "Paul Apprich" wrote:

>	I have a VAXstation 3100 M76 SPX unit. It appears to have color
>video

SPX, in fact, is the "accelerated" colour card (GPX is the standard but slower
version).

>         and two RZ24 209 MB SCSI HDD's. I need to know what device was
>mounted that it would appear through the opening in the upper right of
>the front panel. There is a 34 pin male BERG (mr) connector on a board
>mounted behind the space for this missing device. The board is marked
>'SCSI-FD INTERFACE'. A 3.5 inch floppy drive (Especially Sony--DEC used a
>number of these I recall) fits nicely in that space. Any help here?

The board is a SCSI interface for a standard 3.5" floppy drive. Just plug it in
and it should show up using a console SHOW DEVICE.

>I heard that some of these units used TK50 tape drives. What form are
>these tape drives? (DC-2120, DC-600, 4mm DAT, 8mm DAT, etc.)

To use a TK50 it would have to be in an external box. A TZ30 (uses the same
cartridges) might fit into the box but I've never seen suitable mounting
hardware to do that. (Note that the VS3100-76 is slightly different to the
previous VS3100-30 and -38, and mounting kits for those won't work here).

TK50-K cartridges hold approx 95MB each.

Antonio
carlini@marvin.enet.dec.com