Subject: Re: help with kda50/ra90? no docs..
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@rocinante.digex.net>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Krille.Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/09/1996 02:48:10
>On January 9, you wrote:
>> Good. Also, to check if the drive is OK, press <TEST> <WRITE LOCK>.
>> Doing this on a stopped disk checks some logic. Also try this on a
>> running disk to do additional tests. They should complete with a
>> display of "T 00" if everything is okay. (It might take a while...)
>
>  Ok, I'll try this in a few minutes.

Do that.

>> Two obvious things occur to me. First, I hope you have pressed both
>> <A> and <B> in, since if the correct one isn't depressed, you'll never
>> get the disk online. By pressing both, you can be sure that the right
>> one is depressed.
>
>  Yup, got 'em both selected.  The display shows "AB".  Am I correct
>in setting the drive to id 000, though?  A three-digit device id looks
>weird to me, since the controller (the kda50 at least) can only talk
>to four devices.

Huh? *Three* digit? The RA90 is four digits...
The KDA50 can only talk to four devices, yes, but consider the case
where you have lots of KDA50's. It can be a bit confusing if all your
drives use number 0-3. Which is which...?
(I'm actually having that problem now, with a VAX8650 with four UDA50
on it... I should recompile the kernel to use different numbers on
different controllers...)

>> Second. You kernel might not be compiled with that particular disk
>> unit in it. If so, you won't find it.
>
>  Got kernel support, here's a snipped from my config file:
>uda0            at uba? csr 0172150
>ra0             at uda0 drive 0
>ra1             at uda0 drive 1
>ra2             at uda0 drive 2