Subject: Re: help with kda50/ra90? no docs..
To: None <bqt@Krille.Update.UU.SE>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@rocinante.digex.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/08/1996 19:54:04
On January 8, you wrote:
> Actually, to change the unit number of an RA90, you press TEST, followed by A
> and B, and finally TEST again. Most can be experimented with, and you'll find
> out how it works.

  Great!  Got it...I can change the unit number now.  Thanks!

  Now, more frustration...We just had a huge blizzard here in
Washingto DC and I'm badly snowed-in, so I'm here at home hacking VAX
stuff again. :)

  I've got an ra90, two Systems Industries SDI disk subsystems, and
two kda50 board sets.  No matter what I try, I can't get anything to
see either the SI subsystems or the ra90.  I've used a bunch of
ra-series drives but I have to sheepishly admit that I've never
actually *built* a machine with an ra-type disk subsystem, and have no
docs, so I really need a little help.

  Here's my config:

  MicroVAX-II, 9mb, kda50 at 772150, ra90 at id 000, tk50,
  rqdx3 at 760334, bootable NetBSD/vax v1.1 kernel, as ra4, boots as "dub0"

  To summarize...Any combination of booting from NetBSD at ra4 or
booting Ultrix from tape, with either of my kda50 board sets, with
either the ra90 or the SI subsystem, always sees the controller but
never any drives attached.

  Whenever anything tries to access one of the drives, it leaves a
code of some sort blinking on the LEDs of the "qda processor" card of
the kda50.  The one marked "1" is blinking and the one marked "4" is
on solid.  Is this an error code of some sort?

  Any help or info soon would be greatly appreciated; I'm stuck at
home all night in the snow and want my VAX to work... :-)

                -Dave McGuire
                 mcguire@rocinante.digex.net