Subject: Re: Serial ports...
To: Carl Harris <ceharris@mal.com>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/29/1995 10:22:00

> > Could anyone point me to where I could find out the status of the serial
> > port drivers for NetBSD?  Specifically, I'm wondering how work is
> > progressing on the DHV driver.  I've got a whole herd of vaxen just
> > waiting for that driver. ;)
>
> Preliminary work on the DHV driver itself is progressing nicely.  The
> technical reference for the DHV11 and the DHQ11 arrived via postal mail
> about two weeks ago (thanks to an old friend that happened to remember
> she had copies of each in an abandoned file cabinet in her shop).

I think this sounds real good! Just one note:
I have started converting the Unibus routines to use new config instead
of the old way. So far uba, de and qe drivers have been converted.
This means that the autoconf way can't be done as in the old device
drivers, and there are rather extensive changes in some places.
This will go into -current as soon as it is workable.

> At the moment, the major hold up is that I cannot build a kernel on my
> NetBSD/vax system.  I'm not even sure I have the "right" set of kernel
> sources.  I grabbed the NetBSD-current/src/sys tree, and (after some
> futzing around with the Makefile, managed to get make depend to complete).
> I then tried 'make vmunix', but it fails on the machdep.c file (due to
> *many* parse errors in the syscallargs.h file).  Perhaps Ragge can
> offer a tip here?

There were extensive changes a couple of months ago to this.
If you are going to recompile the kernel, then:
1. Fetch a complete new source tree.
2. Do a 'make install' in /usr/src/include first.
3. Now compile a kernel in the 'normal' way.

-- Ragge