Subject: Re: RDxx formatter for DOS?
To: Jonathan Sturges <jonathan@cc.odu.edu>
From: Michel van der Laan <michel@nijenrode.nl>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/19/1995 23:08:38

> Hi,
> I know that myself and others would like to have the ability to format
> the RDxx drives for use on DEC equipment.
> Is it possible to do this from a PC?  The PC doesn't have to be able to
> read the darn thing, just format it for use in a Vax...

You could do the low-level format on a PC, although because of minor
variations, after a low-level format, the disks may no longer be
interchangeable between systems (read: accesseable w/o ll-format).
I've experienced inaccessibility of the same drive on the same computer
only because the controller was changed. But usually, when you don't
max-out the disks parameters, you can easily use dos's debug tool
to format the disks. I don't know if you can format it for a bsd file-
system, but if everything fails, just writing an image of a filesystem
to the disk (as long as it will fit on the drive) should work.
If you have two disks, you can format the one from the other... (all
the latter is about the high-level format).

I have a boot-tape with the uVax utils/tools here, with the format
tools with all bells/whistles/flags and everything, but I don't know
if it's legal to make an image of that tk50 available to others; I'm afraid
the software license agreement that came with it, has vanished due
to the acid in the paper and time -> I can't find it.

Michel.