Subject: Question About EDLABEL For MicroVAX-II
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Holm Tiffe <holm@magnet.geophysik.tu-freiberg.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/28/1995 08:21:37

> Question:
>
> I have A MicroVAX-II, 16MEG RAM and a brand new CMD SCSI-II card with
> two HP 1.2GIG hard disks.  Right now it is running VMS 5-3 just fine
> and the HP disks are treated as RA90's by the CMD controller.  I'm also
> told that the CMD is COMPLETELY compatiable with DEC's products.
>
> I've downloaded the TK50 files "TK50-FILE1-10a" and "TK50-FILE2-10a"
> from "/pub/NetBSD/arch/vax/tk50" at "ftp.netbsd.org" and I also grabbed
> everything in the "binaries" directory there too.  I've generated the
> boot tape and have that booting just fine.
>
> Now for the question, the "README.EDLABLE" file it talks about the file
> "disktab" to help with determining everything needed for hard disk parameters
> needed for edlabel.  Where exactaly is that file and do I really need it
> (I guess yes).

This file resides normally in /etc/disktab. It contains descriptions on
geometry and partitionsizes for several disks. It provides information for the
commands newfs and disklable. I have never seen this file on NetBSD because
it not boots an my uVAXII.
The file tk50-file2-10A contains IMHO two files 1. /etc/disktab 2. a file
named disktab.preinstall. Search in this files an try an entry that matches
for :pc (size of the entire disk in 512byte blocks) your 1.2GB disks.
New SCSI-disks has no "geometry". You can translate this yourself:

:pc = ns * nt *nc

:pc -> numer of 512 byte sectors of your disks
ns  -> numer of sectors pre track
nt  -> number of tracks per cylinder (eg. heads)
nc  -> number of cylinders

I hope this helps you and you can read my poor english :-(

*       Holm Tiffe                     |        Holm Tiffe                    *
*    Institut fuer Geophysik           |   Strasse der Einheit 26             *
*   TU-Bergakademie Freiberg           |      09599 Freiberg                  *
*    Gustav-Zeuner-Stasse 12           |          Germany                     *
*      09596 Freiberg                  |    Unable to locate Coffee --        *
* Email: holm@geophysik.tu-freiberg.de |        Operator Halted?              *
* Phone: +049 3731 392639              | Phone     : +049 3731 74233          *
* Fax  : +049 3731 392652              | Fax/uucp  : +049 3731 73719          *