Subject: Re: booting an 11/750
To: None <rick@snowhite.cis.uoguelph.ca>
From: Andre B. Skarzynski <abs@maxwell.ctech.ac.za>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/28/1995 16:29:03
Hi,

> Hmm, bootstrapping a 11/750 is an interesting question and it would be really
> nice if someone with the hardware could figure out how.
>
> A couple of thoughts/comments:
> - the only tape driver in the current kernel supports unibus/qbus tape mscp
>   (ie. if you 9 track is anything else, there isn't a driver yet)

I have seen Bertram's posting, but I have not got the specs of of the machine
yet. Well, I suppose, if the drives are not supported (yet) I will just have to try another method.

> I think that, eventually, the idea would be to have some stuff that you
> put on the console tu58 to boot the rest off 9 track tape, but we aren't
> there now.

I will try and see if one can boot from the TU58... I think this could be an
exciting project for me , I was beggining to stagnate... :-)

> If you want a "dd" image of the rootfs, just let me know, rick

It could be worth a try... if nothing else works. Yes, please. :-)

Here is another problem, chalange. :-)
A friend here at work has a MicroVAX II with no tapes, and he was wondering
if one could maybe boot a minimal netbsd from another VAX using MOP (used to
boot one diskless VAX from another... ok thes is a VAX/VMS farm here...)

Cheers,

Andre'