Subject: Status of VAX port (Again :-)
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/11/1995 16:04:47
I have been away in Lund for a couple of weeks, so I haven't done so
much for a while. Right now it is like this:

The only (so far) supported VAX CPU is 11/750, but it runs very
stable on it. There is nothing extremely important unimplemented,
but what not work is user level debugging/profiling.

Network devices supported are DEUNA/DELUA ethernet cards. Works fine!
Disks currently supported are RA8? on UDA50, but I haven't got
autoconfig code work with it yet, working with that right now.
It's somewhat difficult; I am lacking documentation of MSCP
protocol so it's just to try to find out what Chris Toreks old
driver does. As soon as it is OK I will upload latest changes
to include it in the main source tree.

Massbuss (-emulating) disks is not currently supported, feel free
to write drivers for it.

I also wrote a /boot program, but it currently _only_ supports
massbuss disks (that is not supported by the kernel), not UDA50
(that _is_ supported!).

Many thanks to Bertram Barth who has written startup code for
LBN0-15, will be needed on 11/750, uVAX and 8200. More about
this later.

No user-level programming, is done yet; will be when autoconfig
is fixed.

If anyone has an 11/750 and want to try the kernel, you can fetch
the latest from ftp.luth.se:/pub/NetBSD/vaxport/bin. There are
also /sbin/init and /bin/sh compiled for NetBSD. These files
does work with 4.3BSD Reno, which is almost an requirement if
you want to run it.

Feel free to ask me if there is any trouble or ideas.

-- Ragge@ludd.luth.se.