Subject: Re: distribution media
To: Garry Page <gpage@melbpc.org.au>
From: Ronald Copley <COPLEY1@MUVMS6.MU.WVNET.EDU>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/06/1994 13:02:04
On Thu, 6 Oct 1994, Garry Page wrote:

> > BTW, is there any good information out there for people interested
> > in getting a home vax? A list of the various models, their relative
> > speeds and features, and approx current value? I've browsed
> > _PROCESSOR_ and the like, but without knowing the obscure DEC part
> > numbers it's not much help.
>
> I haven't seen a document that has what you really need to select a home
> system. I would suggest selection order would be cost, power requirements
> (single phase/3-phase) plus cooling requirements, physical size
> (Vax-11/782/Desktop), options (disk size etc), speed. The UseNet
> VMS, DEC and Folklore.computers areas maybe more appropriate for this
> discussion. My experience is limited to an 11/750 at home, it was the
> machine I could afford to buy.

If there was enough interest, I could parcel out my time and create a VAX
modules list in the vein of my PDP-11 modules Field Guide. It would be a
"what is this module/board?" only list, but I would be glad to correlate
information from other sources to create the needed resource list.

--
Informatiks                    |
Ronald Copley, owner           |  Buying and selling small to medium