Subject: Re: distribution media
To: None <mcguire@rocinante.digex.net, port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: Mats O Jansson <maja@celsiustech.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/04/1994 11:20:47
In message <199410040514.AA01595@rocinante.digex.net>, Dave McGuire wrote:

>  Net-booting may be a solution...but only the newer VAXen support
>tftp for booting.  They use MOP (Maintenance Operation Protocol) as I
>recall, but there is no freely available MOP server software for Unix
>that I am aware of.

Some years ago I wrote one for PC in Turbo Pascal to learn how the packet
driver worked. On my vaccation last year I wrote one for Unix. It's been
tested on SunOS 4.1, AIX 3.2 some incarnation of NetBSD 0.9. I don't known
what I was doing the last time I was working on it, but if some one is
intrested I could take a look and find something working.

My goal with my mopd was to load terminalserver from a Unix machine.
I havn't looked at directly on booting computers via MOP Load protocol.
In some way the parameters save in the DECnet database must be transfered
to the net booting machine. That isn't implemented in my deamon.

-moj

Mats O Jansson, CelsiusTech Systems, Jaerfaella, Sweden
email: maja@celsiustech.se (or moj@stacken.kth.se)