Subject: boostrapping etc
To: None <port-vax@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Charlie Root <root@snowhite.cis.uoguelph.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/10/1994 15:53:15
Hi again,

   We haven't thought so much about boot yet; we are using old BSD boot
   routines so far. What is thought is that there would be the same thing
   in sectors 0-15 on whatever vax or disk you are using, as it is under
   Ultrix. BSD uses different files for each disk type and that is not
   good at all. If you want to mix with the boot routines it would be good;
   we are currently using 2*11/750 here for developing.

I am not sure what Ultrix does, but there is no way that you can squish
driver support for all disk/bus types into 16 sectors. I was sort of suggesting
using a couple of megabytes at the beginning of the pack for bootstrapping
stuff.

   If you want to work with boot routines just tell me and I will
   note you for that.

Well, no, actually I was trying to convince everyone to minimize the
bootstrapping code and try and let the console interface do the work.
(In other words, avoid it like the plague:-)

The only hardware I have are MicroVAXIIs and VAXstation 2000s and they are
easy to bootstrap. It's the old guys like the 780 and your 750s that will
be the pigs. Since I don't have the hardware, I can't really help with it
in general, but I can try out simple solutions for uvaxen.

Have fun, rick
ps: I am assuming the guys in Sweden have the only source tree and will
    merge that into sun-lamp whenever they think it is time. Until then
    I am just snooping at what is out there.