Port-sun3 archive

Re: Booting Sun3/50 Diskless from Serving PC

From: David Johnson <electronsciences%bellsouth.net@localhost>

I very much appreciate the help you have provided. I'm beating the horse some more. It now boots the kernel but is unable to nfs_mount the file systems. My server, g21, is running netbsd3.1. I'm working with Sun3 v 1.6. This pre-built kernel seems to fit my meager 4MB RAM space. I can no longer find this revision on the ftp sites. The

Look under NetBSD-archive on ftp.netbsd.org

document "finishing up your installation, diskless NetBSD HOWTO suggests that NetBSD bootloader can load a netbsd.gz (zipped kernel) among a long list of possible file names. This doesn't seem to work but the unzipped kernel with name netbsd works reliably.

I think my remaining problems are in my /etc/exports file and with mountd on the server and inability of the client to remote nfs mount the necessary file systems.

My /etc/exports file looks like this in accordance with the diskless HOWTO for netBSD and generates some errors:
//export/sun350/root   -maproot=root:wheel   sun350.grid.net
/export/sun350/swap -maproot=root:wheel    sun350.grid.net/
-- Sun3/50 reports g21:/export/sun350/swap on /swap no such file or directory then of course swapctl can turn swapping on

//export/sun350/usr  -maproot=nobody:nobody    sun350.grid.net/
-- server / mountd complains "line 4 can't change attributes for /export/sun350/usr to sun350" operation not permitted -- Sun/350 reports mount_nfs: can't access 'export/sun350/usr permission denied

//export/sun350/home -maproot=nobody:nobody    sun350.grid.net/
-- server / mountd complains "line 4 can't change attributes for /export/sun350/home to sun350" operation not permitted -- Sun/350 reports mount_nfs: can't access 'export/sun350/home permission denied

I tried the -alldirs option but mountd complains about illegal flag option

//export/sun350/ -alldirs sun350.grid.net/ <-- mountd on server complains about illegal options, the docs don't show example

Do you have an example of an exports file that is of proper form? Or alternately, what is wrong with my line here? Why is the operation not permitted by mountd. It stands to reason if it cant be mounted then the client won't be able to access it.

/export/sun350/usr  -maproot=nobody:nobody    sun350.grid.net

If anyone has some suggestions about how to clean up these problems, I think I will shortly be able to fully boot the old Sun3/50 with netbsd1.6. Any further work with that box will depend on paring down one of the more recent releases for Sun3.

        You need to export the mountpoint of that filesystem on the server - do
        you have a separate /export ot /export/sun350 filesystem mounted
        on the server? If not you probably want

        / -alldirs -maproot=0 sun350.grid.net

        Looks like you should be running *very* soon now :)

        Note - if you are booting a 1.6 kernel you will need the 1.6 or
        earlier userland to match.