Subject: Attempting to Resurrect Sun3/50 w/ NetBSD
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.org>
From: David Johnson <ElectronSciences@BellSouth.net>
List: port-sun3
Date: 10/01/2007 22:19:51
--------------080003090905040801000508

I have inherited a diskless Sun 3/50M 4MB RAM.  I have read the general
diskless How-to and the sun3 specific one.

My problem is that Sun3 attempts to boot over the ethernet  le (0,0,0)
to no avail.  I cannot get back to the Prom monitor at all.  I've looked
all over the place for monitor command list etc to no avail.  Can anyone
send me a cheat sheet showning basic PROM commands.  Is there a
self-test command etc?  Once it begins running its RARP how can I abort
that and get back to the > prompt?

My machine appears to be attempting to get an IP address for its MAC
address using RARP.  I have a RARPD server running
on a 386I machine runnning NetBSD3.1.  Nothing is happening.  No
indications from RARPD -a -d showing anything from the SUN3 and nothing
but a rolling |/-|\ pattern on the Sun.  I'm ignorant on a lot of this
stuff, but I'm persistent.

Can anyone familiar with Sun3/50 respond with some coaching?  Even
better if you have succeeded in booting NetBSDx.x on this machine/RAM
config.

Thanks
David
Electron Sciences