Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.6 / 2.0.2 panics on Sun 3/180
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: Patrick Finnegan <pat@computer-refuge.org>
List: port-sun3
Date: 07/12/2005 00:52:20
Patrick Finnegan declared on Sunday 10 July 2005 07:14 pm:
> I've spent the better part of this afternoon coaxing my Sun 3/180 back
> into breathing, and have finally got it to boot the netbsd-INSTALL.gz
> kernel, but it panics:
>
> http://ned.cc.purdue.edu/sun3/sun3-180-netbsd-1.6-panic.txt
>
> I've tried using the 1.6 installer and 2.0.2 installer kernel, with
> the same results.

Ok, I decided to try and install from tape (Sun/Fujitsu 9-track drive, on
a Xylogics controller), since netbooting wasn't working.

This is how far I got:

>b xt()
Boot: xt(0,0,0)
>> NetBSD/sun3 tapeboot [1.11]
tapeboot: loading segment 1
1172928+140360=0x140b7c
Starting program at 0x8000

Exception 0x2C at 0x0E004050.

I found a similar (but slightly different) error via google, but there
was nothing helpful there to get me past the error.  This was using
2.0.2, and MakeBootTape and MakeInstTape scripts to make the tap, on a
NetBSD/vax machine.  The machine has 16MB of ram in it.

Any ideas on what the problem is there?  I could try making 1.6 tapes,
but don't want to spend the time doing that unless I'm fairly certain
it'll work.

Thanks much,

Pat