Subject: Re: 3/80 SCSI & Ethernet
To: None <andy.ball@earthlink.net>
From: Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. <bsd@hawkmountain.net>
List: port-sun3
Date: 06/05/2003 00:26:36
>Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 09:58:36 -0500 (CDT)
>From: Andy Ball <andy.ball@earthlink.net>
>To: port-sun3@netbsd.org
>Subject: 3/80 SCSI & Ethernet
>

>Hello Curtis,
>
>  CHW> One thing I'm seeing with my 3/80 is that the disk
>     > I/O on these things is reaaly ssslllooowww......
>
>Do you suppose that is because of the disk, the host adaptor
>or something in the software?  I've been wondering over the
>past couple of days whether the 3/80 uses the same SCSI and
>Ethernet chips as the 4/60 (and 4/65?)

Well, it's not due to the 7200RPM 2Gig SCSI drive I have in there :-)

The SCSI chip is Emulex and I've been told it only does async,
so that is part of the performance issue.

How efficient NetBSD's driver for the Emulex SCSI chip is, I don't
know.  The only thing I could do is load 4.1.1_U1 and run some
similar tests under that to see if Sun's driver is more efficient.

The ethernet is the "usual" lance ethernet (le driver).

I would think that the 4/60 and 4/65 (SS1, SS1+) would have a newer
(NCR, or newer Emulex) SCSI chip.

>  CHW> ...with this crude test anyway, the 3/80 appears
>     > faster with a local disk, despite the fact that the
>     > transfer rates are around 10% of the max theoretical
>     > for narrow SCSI.
>
>Still have to wait for data to fly under the head, although
>that may not be the only thing effecting your disk
>performance.

I'm sure that is not the big performance issue here...

>- Andy Ball

-- Curt