Subject: Re: sun3 port different then many others
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: Rick Sustek <rsustek@cisco.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 06/04/2003 13:19:21
Yup the frame buffers are memory mapped, at least on all the Sun2 and Sun3
hardware I used to play with back when those machines were *The Thing*.
We used to have lots of fun just filling the memory space with random
patterns,
either from the monitor ROM command line, or from a  booted kernel, using
a debugger.

But DMA controllers usually have a mode where you can program up
memory-to-memory
transfers, and this can be used quite effectively to quickly update a
screen from a prepared
buffer in main RAM. I've done this with custom 68k hardware, but not
actually on Sun
h/w, so can't give any useful details.

Have fun,
Rick