Subject: Re: Sun 3/80 questions
To: None <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
From: Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. <bsd@hawkmountain.net>
List: port-sun3
Date: 06/03/2003 17:52:46
>From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
>Subject: Re: Sun 3/80 questions
>To: "Curtis H. Wilbar Jr." <bsd@hawkmountain.net>
>Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 15:35:00 -0600 (MDT)
>CC: tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp, port-sun3@netbsd.org
>
>Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. said:
>
>>Wonder how NetBSD (or SunOS 4.1.1_U1) will be on my Sun 3/50 :-)
>>(at least it has the aftermarket upgrade to 12 Meg of RAM !  woo hoo !)
>
>I've got a 3/50 that runs -current. Clearpoint memory upgrade. I never tried
>to run X on it. Won't run GENERIC because of the memory hole at 4 megs.
>I used a modified install kernel. It's quite slow, and doesn't have the
>muscle to run ssh v2.

So you used another Sun3 to build an install kernel, correct ?

>I have a 3/80 running 1.6.1 with patches to get ipfilter working.

How long does it take you to build your kernel.... I had a make running
for like 2-3 days... then it blew up on my attempt to get a cgeight driver
in there :-)

>I also have a number of 3/50 and 3/60 boxes, and a 3/110.

I have two 3/50s (one needs a power supply, and its mainboard may be flaky
too), two 3/80s (I thought one was bad, but I found out the simms were in
the wrong banks !!!  the errors didn't give me any clue that this was the
problem !).  I also have a 3400 cpu board and memory board, etc.. .but I
need a VME chassis better than a X/X10 in order to set it up.
(Well, I suppose I could do the cpu board and a 32 meg memory board in a
X/X10 chassis, and just run it diskless... but I've got VME grahipcs boards,
more memory boards, and a sun-3 scsi board.... so it would make a nice
classic best of breed sun-3 (68030-33 ! wow ! :-) ).

I wish I had schematics for the clock circuit in the 3/80.  There is
a jumper to run the 68882 at 40 mhz instead of 20, so if I could change
the clock wiring a tiny bit, I could have that same jumper run the clock
for both chips, and upgrade the chips to 40mhz parts, and have a twice
as fast 3/80 (upgrading it from sssslllloooowwww to ssllooww :-) ).

Anyone got a X/X50 VME chassis they would part with ?

-- Curt