Subject: Re: Sun 3/80 questions
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: Josh Malone <jmalone@tovaris.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 06/03/2003 17:45:20
You think that's bad?

	I have a sun 3/50 with a mere 8 megs.  It's only
running 1.4.something but it handles itself for serving a tiny bit of dns.
It takes a while to log in since it's running standalone on an external
SCSI drive (net-booted would be quicker - swapping to ethernet is faster
than disk on this box), hence I hardly ever jump on.

	I brought it to an installfest a year ago though and it got some
laughs by passers-by (and some groans from anyone who tried to log in to
the demo account).  I think I've got a picture of it running that somebody
took during the 'fest.  It won the 'most archaic hardware' award (much to
the disappointment of the girl who brought the 486 laptop).

	Once you're logged in, though, you can actually use it without too
much pain.  Makes a good case for 'telnet' though.  *chuckle*

				-Josh

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Rick Kelly wrote:

> Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. said:
>
> >Wonder how NetBSD (or SunOS 4.1.1_U1) will be on my Sun 3/50 :-)
> >(at least it has the aftermarket upgrade to 12 Meg of RAM !  woo hoo !)
>
> I've got a 3/50 that runs -current. Clearpoint memory upgrade. I never tried
> to run X on it. Won't run GENERIC because of the memory hole at 4 megs.
> I used a modified install kernel. It's quite slow, and doesn't have the
> muscle to run ssh v2.
>
> I have a 3/80 running 1.6.1 with patches to get ipfilter working.
>
> I also have a number of 3/50 and 3/60 boxes, and a 3/110.
>
> --
> Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com

-------- In God we trust...everything else we use X.509 ---------
Joshua Malone,  Systems Administrator    Phone: 434-245-5300 x119
      Tovaris IP, LC                       Fax: 434-245-5301
      www.tovaris.com                     jmalone@tovaris.com