Subject: Re: Sun 3/80 questions
To: None <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. <bsd@hawkmountain.net>
List: port-sun3
Date: 06/03/2003 12:22:41
>To: bsd@hawkmountain.net
>Cc: tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp
>Subject: Re: Sun 3/80 questions
>From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
>Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 00:15:00 +0900
>
>> What are you using for a driver ?  Looking at 1.6.1 it looks like there
>> are only drivers for bw2, cg3, and cg4.
>>
>> Are you just accessing it as a cg3 ?
>
>While cg6 can be accessed as cg3, I'm using serial console.

I'd love to get my cg8 working under NetBSD and X11R6... but other
than looking good, I have to wonder exactly how "bad" the performance
will be :-)

>> Bummer on sync transfer.... this thing is a turtle accessing the disk....
>> I think eventually I'll pull the 7200RPM drive as it is probably giving
>> me zero advantage in that box.
>
>3/80 is slow enough for modern SCSI drives anyway

Wonder if ethernet throughput is faster ?
I'll have to try some measurements....

>though it's still faster than 3/60...

Wonder how NetBSD (or SunOS 4.1.1_U1) will be on my Sun 3/50 :-)
(at least it has the aftermarket upgrade to 12 Meg of RAM !  woo hoo !)

>---
>Izumi Tsutsui
>tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp

-- Curt