Subject: RE: Port to Sun 386i
To: Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. <bsd@hawkmountain.net>
From: Zach Lowry <zach@zachlowry.net>
List: port-sun3
Date: 06/02/2003 22:12:02

                                      ^^^^^^^^^^
                                      So, they DO exist...

> >I'm looking for advice, however, since I've bever done this sort
> >of thing before. Would it be best to start with the i386 port,
> >remove all devices except those explicitly available in the 386i
> >and then merge drivers for Framebuffers and the like from the sun3
> >port? From what I understand, the normal color and B&W
> >framebuffers on the 386i correspond to the cg3 and bw2, but
> >additionally there exists a cg5 card and a VGA card for DOS
> >emulation under SunOS.
>
> As the VGA card was only used during emulation, you don't need to
> worry about that.... it might be more trouble than it is worth to
> support that.

Check.

> >I'm also aware that there existed memory add-ons in the form of
> >ISA cards, could anyone clarify on these boards, and would it be
> >possible to support them?
>
> The only memory boards I am aware of go into special slots.  One
> has cache memory, the other does not.

Ah, ok. From my copy of the FEH, it looked like ISA.

> >If anyone has any guidance/suggestions/additional hardware, please
> >let me know.
>
> I would think since Sun firwmare allows net booting, if the 386i
> boots using standard protocols, then the first step would probably
> be a kernel with minimal drivers probably only first support serial
> console.  Once that is made to work, porting drivers from other
> NetBSD distros, etc to support that various hardware....

I believe it's just like Sun3 Netbooting, and I've already set that
up for my 3/60. I'm curious to see how far the i386 kernel will get,
if it gets anywhere at all.

> Though, I've never done this kind of work before, I would think
> that might be the easier approach ?
>
> Although, you'd have to have a port of the netboot image that
> would work with
> the 386i hardware.... hmmm... not sure what would be easiest.

Could the boot.net from Sun3 be compiled straight for i386?