Subject: Re: Silliness with Serial Console
To: None <zach@zachlowry.net>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/16/2003 04:25:22
In article <GOEBKKPCBEIAHHPNHLFHOEBDHPAA.zach@zachlowry.net>
zach@zachlowry.net wrote:

> Hrm... So, what is a possible course of action? Should I investigate
> getting a new PROM? Is there a good source of troubleshooting info
> for Sun3's that I'm missing?

What error did you actually get?
If you got error during PROM check sum test, it might be worth
to replace PROM. But if there is some actual hardware problem,
I'm afraid it isn't easy to fix.

> Also, How long does it take to perform these tests? Maybe I'm not
> giving it long enough, it hangs at that test for about a minute.

IIRC, actually the DIAG tests will take about a minite.
(I didn't try it with serial console, though)

> shouldn't I still get at least some output on the serial line?
> Something that says "Hey, this test failed" like I believe Sun4's do?

The SUN hardware reference
http://www.sunhelp.org/faq/sunref3.html
says "self-test messages are sent to serial port A" (in 501-1205 entry):

> If you want the machine to boot normally, set the diagnostics
> switch to "NORM". If you want extended diagnostics when you
> power up the system, set the switch to the "DIAG" position. If
> the switch is set to "DIAG", power-on self-test messages are
> sent to serial port A at 9600 bps, 8 data bits, one stop bit, no
> parity, and XON/XOFF flow control.

---
Izumi Tsutsui
tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp