Subject: Re: 1.6 vm_fault on ie packet rx
To: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
From: Adam Kropelin <akropel1@rochester.rr.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 11/22/2002 21:04:43
----- Original Message -----
From: "Chuck Silvers" <chuq@chuq.com>
To: "Adam Kropelin" <akropel1@rochester.rr.com>
Cc: <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2002 8:31 PM

> On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 11:29:14PM -0500, Adam Kropelin wrote:
> > I built a RAMDISK kernel with the sun3trap patch and DDB enabled. (Well,
> > first I build a 1.6 compat toolchain, *then* 24 hours of compiling later
> > built a 1.6 kernel ;)
> >
> > Unfortunately it can't seem to mount the ramdisk root filesystem. Only
> > change from the stock RAMDISK config was to enable DDB.
> >
> > Do I need, perhaps, to build a ramdisk filesystem image as a second
step?
> > Any hints? Boot messages follow...
>

> er, yea, if you want to use the ramdisk stuff you need to load an image
> into the kernel, I think mdsetimage is the tool that does that.
>
> it would be easier to just use an NFS root rather than mess with a
ramdisk,
> if you can do that...

...except it's the ethernet driver that's panicing the system to begin with.
Building the ramdisk pieces in distrib/ seems strightforward except the
Makefiles all seem to need dozens of env vars that only get set if you build
release from the top of the tree. For now I'll see if I can reproduce on
GENERIC (James Wiley says the problem doesn't exist on GENERIC) and if not I
guess I'll try building release. Any suggestions on getting the ramdisk
image built without having to build the rest of the world?

--Adam