Subject: Sun3 port packet filter problems.
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: <skasten@qx.net>
List: port-sun3
Date: 10/04/2002 10:41:07
OK guys, I'm stuck here=2E=2E=2E

I'm trying to get ipf/ipnat, etc=2E=2E=2E to work, but so far no luck=2E

I built a kernel with options GATEWAY, PFIL_HOOKS, and pseudo-devices ipfilter, bpfilter=
=2E

I have verified that I am running the kernel that I built, and the build directory shows the object files from the ip_filter/nat/etc=2E=2E=2E  So that stuff appears to have been built=
=2E

The were no control device nodes in /dev, and MAKEDEV has no ipl entry=2E  So I looked at the i386 binary distro to get the MAJOR, MINORs for everything=2E  I created devices ipauth, ipl, ipnat, ipstate with MAJOR=3D44, and MINORs =3D 0 - 3=
=2E

Tried ipf util and ipnat util, "open not supported on device" "ioctl on bad file descriptor", and various other complaints=
=2E

OK, tried looking in the code to see if maybe Sun3 arch issues a different major=2E  I found a #define CDEV_MAJOR 79 in ip_fil=2Eh, but it does not appear to be used=2E  I tried recreating the devices with MAJOR=3D79 just in case, but same problem=
=2E

I cannot find the MAJOR registration in the code=2E  What is the proper MAJOR number for Sun3, is it still 44 like i386?  If so, then why do I get the invalid node complaints from the utilities=
?

Obviously, I'm missing something here=2E=2E=2E=2EAny help or suggestions appreciated=
=2E

Thanks,

-S-