Subject: Re: Sun 3/80 and 4 meg chips
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: None <thobe@lafn.org>
List: port-sun3
Date: 10/01/2002 03:10:26
>Is anyone here using 4 meg chips in a 3/80? I have one with 16 1meg simms
>running SunOS 4.1.1. I'd like to convert it to NetBSD with more memory if
>I can. Also, I have one memory chip that gets parity errors every now and
>then.

The latest models will take 16 4-meg SIMMs.  There is a hay wire on top
of the board connecting up one of the memory lines on these models.
Earlier models may take 4-meg SIMMs but are limited to some amount such
as 38 megs (guess from memory).  The PROM revision is an issue, too,
with only the last couple of revisions supporting the 4-meg SIMMs.

If you are lucky, you can just plug in the SIMMs.  Otherwise, you'll
have to do some preparatory hardware modifications.  There is a
description on Heiko Krupp's Sun 3 web site of how to upgrade your
board.  There is also an image of the newest BOOT PROM.

Good luck.

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com