Subject: "virtual memory exhausted"
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: John Carr <jcarr@msen.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/13/2002 14:44:12
Hello, all!

I have what may seem to be a newbie question, but I can't seem to find
a good answer for it in my searching.

This has come up before: imlib does not compile, and dies miserably with
the message "virtual memory exhausted" as shown below:

cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I..                            -I../gdk_imlib          -I/usr/pkgsrc/graphics/imlib/work/.buildlink/include/gtk-1.2 -I/usr/pkgsrc/graphics/imlib/work/.buildlink/include/glib/glib-1.2 -I/usr/pkgsrc/graphics/imlib/work/.buildlink/lib/glib/include -I/usr/pkg/share/x11-links/include  -I/usr/pkgsrc/graphics/imlib/work/.buildlink/include  -DENABLE_NLS -I/usr/pkg/share/x11-links/include -I/usr/pkgsrc/graphics/imlib/work/.buildlink/include/gtk-1.2 -I/usr/pkgsrc/graphics/imlib/work/.buildlink/include/glib/glib-1.2 -I/usr/pkgsrc/graphics/imlib/work/.buildlink/lib/glib/include -I/usr/pkg/share/x11-links/include  -I/usr/pkgsrc/graphics/imlib/work/.buildlink/include -O2 -I/usr/pkg/share/x11-links/include -c testimg.c
testimg.c:16576: virtual memory exhausted

The confusing part, for me, comes where my hard limit for "datasize" is
set to 32M and doesn't go any higher. I have 24M RAM on the machine and
about 128M swap... I'm also not getting any HD errors. During compilation,
I go about 20M or so into swap before it fails, so my assumption is that
it's hitting the datasize hard limit. However, any attempt to set the
datasize larger results in no change in the value from sysctl or
limit.

I've also changed NKMEMPAGES in the kernel config to see if that made
*any* difference, but it apparently does not...

At this point, the only thing I can think of doing is changing a kernel
variable for compilation, but I don't see what, specifically, needs to
be tuned. I'm guessing this is platform-specific, and a quick kernel
code check doesn't help me any (I don't code much at all, so following the
code hurts me. :) ).

Is there something obvious I'm missing, or is it just simply not possible
to compile some programs under sun3 or m68k and I'll need to cross-compile?

JC.
(and, of course, the obvious question would be... "why would you *want*
to compile things like mozilla on a sun3?" ... I don't have a good
answer for that, really.. :) )