Subject: Re: broken VME levers, prom codes
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org, reed@reedmedia.net>
From: None <jwbirdsa@picarefy.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/22/2002 23:35:19
>It doesn't seem to boot. (At least, I don't see anything via serial other
>than when diag is on.)

   The EEPROM is probably set to use the framebuffer and keyboard. If the
diags run to completion without reporting any errors, then you probably
have a good machine, it just needs to be set up some.

>I've read some about posibly having an internal scsi drive. But I don't
>know if I have one.

   If you do, it's because a previous owner hacked it in. It's not a
standard thing.

>My VME (I think that is what it is called), has broken
>levers/handles on both sides. Any tricks on how to get it to slide out?

   VME is the name of the bus. The 3/60 isn't actually quite a VME machine,
since it's a one-board thing and there's no need for a bus to communicate
between boards. The board is the same size, and can actually go into and
run in a real Sun VME chassis, because its power connector matches the VME
P3 connector, which is where real VME boards get their power.

   There are up to four screws holding the motherboard in, two on each
side, little black ones which require a hex key (5/64" is close enough, but
I think it's actually a metric size). Some or all may be missing. Anyway,
once you have them out, the only thing holding the motherboard in is the
power connector and friction. Get a pair of flathead screwdrivers and pry
carefully, that's what I do. :)

>When I have diag on, it successfully passes the Selftest. Then I can get
>into the Extended Diagnostics Main Menu. When I press "q", I get the ">"
>(prom?) prompt.

   Yes, that's the boot ROM. Depending on your version, it may have a help
screen built in, which you can access by entering "?".

>Where can I find some prom documentation or examples?

   You can find a lot more info at http://www.sunhelp.org/faq/sunref2.html
(if I do say so myself :) ).

   In order to get it to use serial port A as the console, do this at
the ROM prompt: "q 1f", which opens the EEPROM at address 0x1F and shows
you what's there, which is probably either 00 or 12. Type "10" and hit
enter, then it will show you the next address and value. Type a period and
hit enter to get out of the EEPROM programmer. Power down, switch the
norm/diag switch to norm, power up again, and you should (after a moment)
get the normal boot banner on your terminal.

   --James B.