Subject: Re: anyone have a v3.0.3 3/80 bootROM available?
To: None <cdewick@sunshack.org>
From: Jeremy Cooper <jeremy@baymoo.org>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/19/2002 16:07:26
> I'm looking to buy a second-hand Dataman-S4 or similar so I have a good
> quality programmer btw. There are no programmers that I'm aware of which
> can be used with a Unix system as there are no ways to get data sent in
> raw format via a serial port. All the programmers that connect to a PC
> expect to be driven by special software and there is never an equivalent
> for non-Windows platforms. sigh

I use a PROM programmer manufactured by http://www.artbv.nl/.  I bought
it years ago because 1) it is a standalone unit that takes serial input 2)
the serial protocol is ASCII and well documented.  Although I've never
used it without the MS-DOS program that comes with it, I do know that I
could use it on a non-widows platform if I wanted to.  I have used this
unit to burn 3/80 PROMs, so I know it works.

(If you're interested in the full specs for the unit I bought,
http://www.artbv.nl/support/epp2/epp2mn.htm).

-J